[matroska-devel] Matroska Tags

Pamel Paul at msn.com
Sat Apr 5 19:24:11 CEST 2003

In our quest to compile a comprehensive list of current tags available today
for different formats, here is the list of websites that we are using so
far:

http://www.id3.org/id3v2.4.0-frames.txt
http://www.id3.org/id3v2-00.txt
http://www.id3.org/id3v2.3.0.txt
http://www.xiph.org/ogg/vorbis/doc/v-comment.html
http://getid3.sourceforge.net/
http://kibus1.narod.ru/sof/abcavi/infotags.htm
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/wmform/htm/id3tagsupport.asp
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/storage/hh/storage/k306_1gaa.asp
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/wmplay/mmp_sdk/mediafileattributes.a
sp
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/wmform/htm/attributelist.asp

Some things to note about the Microsoft sites is that the documents have a
lot of errors.  For instance, the list of ID3v2.4 tags that the WMP9
attributes map to use some tags that don't exist anymore.  The list of
attributes that can be stored in a file for WMP9 isn't complete.

We basically want to map every ID3v2.4 tag to a Matroska tag.  Almost all
Vorbis, APE, and FLAC tags should easily map to one of those ID3 tags.  (I
think the Vorbis "LOCATION" tag is the only one that doesn't)  Most of the
important WMP9 tags (known as 'Attributes') map to ID3 tags also.  There are
a few other ones in there (like "Location") that we will create Matroska
tags for.  We also want to try to make sure that the apropriate tags can be
read with the WMP9 "Advanced Tag Editor".

We will be using most of the mapped ID3 tags for video also as most of the
fields carry relevant information.

The plan so far for layout is to use the current MultiEntity element  for
every person/place/object.  We will simply define many more values for the
EntityFunction element.  This will allow every
Album/Artist/Performer/Director/Location/etc. to have its own Name, URL,
Email, SortBy, Comments, and whatever else needs to be added.  And all of
this can be done without significantly increasing the number of support
elements.

Another MultiEntity-type element can be used for larger text documents such
as unsynched lyrics, comments, summary, history, etc.  Another
MultiEntity-type element might be used for common data types such as dates.

All other data types that aren't duplicated are going to need their own
individual ID's.  This WILL significantly increase the number of required
elements to fully support all tags.  But we will minimize this as much as
possible.

Formats that we are trying to support tags for:
MP3
Vorbis
Monkey's Audio
CD-Text
AVI
Windows Media Player 9

Please mention any other formats that should be looked at.

Pamel

http://www.matroska.org