[Matroska-devel] Streaming in matroska

Christian Wiesner chris at matroska.org
Sat May 30 12:33:41 CEST 2009

The focus for the development of matroska, originally, was not put on
streaming. OGG was available for that already, and there was enough bad
feelings between the two teams that made it necessary to clearly
differentiate the purposes of both containers.

However, there has been a lot of discussion lateron about a specific
'streaming mode' for matroska, you can read all this in the mailing list
archives on gmane.org , mainly in matroska-devel . Needless to say, nobody
ever had the time to really look in this new extension of the existing
specs, so it never happened. One reason is certainly that there are enough
working streaming formats existing, and the big Forte of matroska, its
ability to use many different audio and video codecs in a MKV file, for
streaming purposes is rather a disadvantage than really a benefit ....

Regards

Christian
matroska project admin